Morton Fire Department

From the book "Remembering Hamlin:1802-2002" by Mary E. Smith, page 96.

 

Morton Fire Department

 

In 1914 the former Presbyterian Church was sold to the Grange who sold it to the Morton Fire Company in 1935. The Morton Fire District was organized on November 23, 1929, under the leadership of Charles Lind Jr. to provide local fire protection. The first commissioners elected were: Charles Lind Jr., Elmer Timmerman, Millard Hincher, James Bissell and Robert Wolfe. Their first meeting was held July 14, 1930.

 

They installed an alarm system in the Cold Storage building and kept their first truck there until other arrangements could be made. When they obtained the Grange Hall in 1935 they built a truck room on the south side of it. The first Field Day was held on August 19, 1933 and a parade was held with about 50 floats taking part. About 1965 there was a fire in the tower of the converted fire hall and after much discussion it was decided to tear the building down and put up a new metal building. And so, with progress, one more original historic building was destroyed.

 


© 2022 Hamlin Morton Walker Fire District